Seafood stew is one of the most flavorful stew or soup dishes that I’ve ever had. Aside from cutting up the many vegetables that are in this stew, it’s actually very easy to put together. For any seafood lover, this is definitely the type of meal that you need to make. Let’s dive into how it’s made.
The vegetable preparation for this dish is easily the most time consuming part. The reason for that is that there are a lot of veggies to chop. You’ll need the following:
It’s worth taking the time to cut these veggies up. The flavor that is created when these vegetables are cooked together is delicious.
Once they’re all chopped, you can sauté them in a large pot until they have started to soften. The aromas will fill your kitchen and make it smell extremely fragrant. Next, you’ll add some seafood stock and diced tomatoes to start forming a stew. Mix everything together, season with salt and pepper to taste, and lower to a simmer for at least 20 minutes. Keep in mind though, the longer everything simmers, the better. You could let this go for hours if you wanted, but if you’re short on time, then 20 minutes will be just fine.
There is some flexibility with this dish as you can add whatever seafood you like to it. I will typically add the following:
- White fish
It’s entirely up to you! If using scallops, make sure to quarter them. They are a lot better and easier to eat with stews/soups at this size. If using white fish, make sure to cut it into large chunks. This will allow the pieces of fish to stay intact. If cut too small, the pieces will fall apart.
When you have around 10 minutes to go before you’re going to eat, add the seafood and some white wine to the stew and allow it to cook. Once the seafood is cooked, the stew is ready to be consumed.
So much flavor
This seafood stew dish is delicious. While extremely cozy and perfect for the cold weather months, this stew can also be enjoyed during the summer “beach” months. Bonus points: due to the seafood and large amount of veggies in this stew, this is a pretty healthy dish. Delicious, healthy, and packed with protein, what’s not to love about this stew!?
Vegetables & Stew
- 6 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Carrots medium sized; chopped
- 4 Celery ribs chopped
- 1 Fennel bulb chopped
- 2 Potatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 cups Seafood stock
- 15 oz Diced tomatoes can
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb Scallops quartered
- 1/2 lb Shrimp
- 1/2 lb White fish cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup White wine
Vegetables & Stew
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and all of the vegetables. Sauté until it is very aromatic and the vegetables have started to soften.
- Add the seafood stock and the diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for at least 20 minutes or for hours. Keep in mind – the longer the better.
- When it is almost time for you to eat, add the white wine and seafood to the stew and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes or so, the seafood should be cooked. Serve immediately with garlic bread. Enjoy!