Did you know that our new Open Fire Chimichurri Rub pairs extremely with seafood (among many other things)? I’ve already shared our Grilled Chimichurri Shrimp recipe and now it’s time for a recipe for anyone that prefers to cook inside: Pan Seared Chimichurri Cod. This is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to prepare fish. Get ready – it’s time to learn a new weeknight meal.
The recipe only requires four ingredients:
- Cod (preferably wild caught)
- Open Fire Chimichurri Rub
That’s all that’s needed to make a restaurant quality fish dish.
Season the fish
About 30 minutes before you are going to cook, remove the cod from the refrigerator. If you have large pieces of cod, cut them into serving sizes. Season all over with our Open Fire Chimichurri Rub. This rub has a lower salt content, making it perfect as is for seafood. Let the seasoned cod sit out at room temperature until it’s time to cook.
NOTE: if you are in a rush and don’t have 30 minutes for the cod to sit after being seasoned, no worries. Cooking the cod immediately will still result in a fantastic dish.
When it’s time to cook, preheat a medium/large pan with some oil over medium heat. Then add the fish and allow it to sear for 3-4 minutes, untouched. The fish will easily release from the pan when it’s ready to flip. With about 30 seconds to go before you’re going to flip the fish, add some butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Once the fish has been flipped, allow it to sear and then baste it with the melted butter. The basting will allow for even cooking whiling giving more flavor. Cook and continue to baste for 3-4 minutes or until an internal temperature of 145ºF has been reached (recommended by the USDA).
Quick, easy, and delicious
Do you see how easy it is to make delicious cod? This recipe only requires four ingredients and can be completed in 20 minutes. You cannot beat that for a weeknight meal! Our Open Fire Rubs are meant to bring the flavor while making cooking easier. I believe this recipe really showcases that. To sum up this recipe, all you need to do is season and cook. Try this recipe out and you’ll see how doable it is to make flavorful fish that is cooked perfectly. With school starting up again soon, this can be the perfect recipe for those busy weeknights. Enjoy!
Pan Seared Chimichurri Cod
- 1.5 lbs Cod preferably wild caught
- Open Fire Chimichurri Rub
- Avocado oil or any cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Around 30 minutes before you are going to cook, remove the cod from the refrigerator. Cut into serving sized pieces and season all over with our Open Fire Chimichurri Rub. Allow to rest at room temperature until it is time to cook.
- Heat a large/medium pan with oil over medium heat. Once heated, add the cod (working in batches if necessary). Allow to cook, untouched, for 3-4 minutes. The fish will easily release from the pan when it is ready to be flipped. Around 30 seconds before you are going to flip the cod, add the butter and allow to melt.
- Flip the cod and allow to sear. Baste the fish with the melted butter. Allow to cook until the doneness of your liking. An internal temperature of 145ºF is recommended by the USDA. This will take another 3-4 minutes – thicker pieces of fish could take longer.
- Once cooked, remove the fish from the pan. Pour any remaining melted butter over the fish. Serve immediately, Enjoy!