Continuing on with our grilling themed blog posts, today’s is one of the quickest and easiest things to grill: grilled chimichurri shrimp. With minimal preparation and a fast cook time, this recipe really shows how a little effort can go a long way.
The preparation is very simple. In fact, you only need TWO ingredients to pull this off. First, you’re going to want to peel and devein your shrimp. A quick side note – always get wild caught shrimp if it’s available to you as it is of much better quality. Then, you will season the shrimp our a brand new Open Fire Chimichurri Rub. That’s right, you don’t even need to make a chimichurri sauce for this! Season the shrimp all over with the Open Fire Chimichurri Rub and refrigerate until ready to cook. I will typically do this ~30 minutes before cooking as shrimp does not need to marinate for too long.
Grill them hot and fast
A lot of seafood – certainly shrimp – will cook very fast on the grill. Set up your grill for direct cooking and preheat it to 400ºF-450ºF. Once the temperature has been reached, toss the shrimp on and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook for about another 2 minutes. For me, I am looking for the shrimp to turn orange in color (on both sides) and get some nice char marks. For anyone that’s concerned, the US Department of Agriculture recommends that shellfish are cooked to an internal temperature of 145ºF. Once that has been reached, your shrimp are ready to come of the grill.
Quick, easy, and delicious
Do you see how easy this dish is to pull off? Just season the shrimp and grill them in under 5 minutes. These shrimp are tasty as is but also great for shrimp tacos. Serve them as an appetizer or for dinner – you cannot go wrong! Try this recipe out and let me know what you think in the comments. I am especially curious about your thoughts on our new Open Fire Chimichurri Rub. This Latin inspired herb and citrus blend is great on shrimp and I am confident that you will enjoy it.
Grilled Chimichurri Shrimp
- 10 Wild Caught Shrimp Farmed is ok too if that's all that's available to you
- Open Fire Chimichurri Rub to taste
- Peel and devein your shrimp.
- Around 30 minutes before you are going to cook the shrimp, season all over with our Open Fire Chimichurri Rub. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Set up your grill for direct cooking and preheat to 400ºF-450ºF.
- Once your grill has reached temperature, add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook the second side for another 2 minutes.
- You are looking for the shrimp to turn orange in color and get some nice char marks. Per the USDA, shellfish should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145ºF.
- Remove from the grill. Serve and enjoy!