Another week, another side dish recipe: Grilled Asparagus. Great with any type of protein – in fact, it goes well with almost any main dish – this recipe is incredibly quick and easy to pull off. Grilled asparagus is also great because it can be served with fancy or casual dining. Let’s get into how to make it.
Minimal prep work
First thing that you will need to do is light your grill and stabilize the temperature around 400ºF. My guess is that if you’re grilling asparagus, then you probably already have the grill lit for something else. If not, then 400ºF is the temperature that you want. While the grill is warming, cut the tough ends of the asparagus off and season them with the following:
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard – I love the flavor it gives
- Open Fire Rub of your choice – my favorites for this recipe are our Open Fire BPS Rub and Open Fire Chimichurri Rub
Make sure to mix the asparagus with the seasonings very well. Once done, they are ready for the grill.
Toss them on the grill
Once the grill’s temperature has stabilized around 400ºF, add the asparagus, making sure they are spread out so that they are not on top of each other as best as you can (it does not need to be perfect). Close the lid and let the grill do it’s thing. Flip them after 5-7 minutes and continue to do so until they are charred to your liking. Total cook time should be anywhere from 10-20 minutes. It’s really up to you on how charred you like them. I prefer my asparagus to be charred and crispy, so I’ll let them cook closer to the full 20 minutes. My wife’s family does not prefer this. When I am cooking for them, I make sure to take the asparagus off once they have softened and slightly charred. It’s completely up to your own taste.
One of my favorite side dishes
Asparagus is one of my households go-to side dishes. Not only does it pair well with so many dishes, but it’s incredibly quick and easy to make. If you own any of our signature Open Fire Rubs (if you don’t, click on our Shop link and get yours today!) then you can use them with this recipe. It’s so easy to get big flavor. Whether your looking for a side dish to go with your grilled fish, steak, or chicken, or just want to eat some veggies, then this recipe is for you.
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Open Fire Rub of your choice
- Light and stabilize your grill to 400ºF.
- While the grill is warming, trim off the tough ends of the asparagus. Season them with olive oil, dijon mustard, and the Open Fire Rub of your choice. Mix well so that all of the asparagus is seasoned.
- Add the asparagus to the grill. Spread them out as well as you can so that they are not on top of each other (it does not need to be perfect).
- Close the grill's lid and cook for 5-7 minutes. Flip the asparagus and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Continue to do so until the asparagus is charred to your liking. Total cook time should be 10-20 minutes depending on your preference. For softer and less charred asparagus, cook closer to 10 minutes. For crispy and more charred asparagus, cook closer to 20 minutes.
- Once cooked to your liking, remove from the grill and serve immediately. Enjoy!