With it currently being mid-July, we are in peak grilling season. My previous seven recipes that I shared were all related to grilling. Today, we are going to do something a little different since sometimes the weather does not cooperate with grilling or maybe you just feel like cooking inside. This easy chicken fajitas recipe can be done on the grill or on a stovetop inside (I actually tend to cook this one inside), which is exactly how I am going to present this dish to you.
Minimal prep work
You’re not going to need a lot of ingredients for some tasty, easy chicken fajitas. All that you’re going to need is the following:
- Chicken breast
- Bell peppers
- Open Fire Mex’ing It Up Rub
- Tortillas (for serving – optional)
Just season the chicken with our new Open Fire Mex’ing It Up Rub, cut the bell peppers into slices, cut the onions into halfmoons, and you’re ready to cook!
NOTE: this recipe is for chicken fajitas but you can absolutely use steak, shrimp, or whatever protein you prefer.
Sear and “steam” the chicken
After preheating a large pan or cast iron over medium, add the chicken. Cook for 6-8 minutes and then flip (this should get a nice sear on the chicken). After flipping, move the chicken to the middle of the pan and put the sliced onions and bell peppers around the chicken. Season your the veggies with Open Fire Mex’ing It Up Rub as well. Cook the chicken for another 6-8 minutes. Pro tip: after the onions and bell peppers have started to cook, cover the chicken with some of them. This will steam the chicken, making it more flavorful and juicy. Continue to cook the chicken, checking the internal temperature until it reaches 160ºF. Remove the chicken from the stove.
NOTE: If you are concerned about the chicken burning/searing too much on the outside, just flip it more often.
Continue cooking the veggies
After removing the chicken from the stove, place it on a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes. During this rest, there should be some carryover cooking that will take it to 165ºF, which is what the USDA recommends. Continue to cook the veggies until they have softened to your liking. Slice the chicken into strips or bite sized pieces for the fajitas. When the veggies are done cooking, shut the heat off of the stove and add the chicken back to the pan. Squeeze lime juice over the top and mix everything together. And just like that, your chicken fajitas are ready to be stuffed in a tortilla.
It can’t get any easier
Do you see why I call this recipe “Easy Chicken Fajitas”? Only taking around 30 minutes to pull off, it’s tough to find simpler recipe. Just season and cook. Recipes like this one are exactly what are goals are here at Stove Oven Grill. We want our Open Fire rubs to provide the flavor so that all you need to do is season and cook. Try it out and you’ll see why this is a quick and easy meal that’s perfect for a weeknight.
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 1.5 lbs Chicken breast
- 3 Bell peppers any colors, sliced
- 2-3 Onions sliced
- Open Fire Mex'ing It Up Rub to taste
- 2 Limes
- Oil for cooking
- Tortillas for serving; optional
- Season both sides of your chicken breasts with our Open Fire Mex'ing It Up rub.
- Preheat a large pan or cast iron over medium heat. Add the oil and the seasoned chicken. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and move it to the center of the pan/cast iron. Add the sliced onions and bell peppers around the chicken. Cook the chicken for another 6-8 minutes. Once the veggies have begun to cook, cover the chicken with them. This will "steam" the chicken, keeping it juicy while simultaneously giving it more flavor.
- Cook the chicken until an internal temperature of 160ºF. Once it reached that internal temperature, remove it from the heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board. The chicken's internal temperature will continue to rise while resting, bringing it over the USDA recommended 165ºF.
- Continue to cook the veggies while the chicken rests. After 5 minutes, slice the chicken into bite sized pieces. Turn off the stove and add the chicken back to the pan/cast iron.
- Squeeze the juice of two limes over the chicken and veggies. Mix everything together.
- Serve immediately with tortillas or over rice. Enjoy!